Office hours (HH368):
M 1:00-2:00; F 12:30-1:30, and by appointment.
Seminar in Cognitive Science
Week 3: Minds and Brains
Positions in philosophy of mind
Inference to the best explanation
What is to be explained?
What mind-brain identity explains.
Mechanisms and emergent properties.
Evidence for dualism
Parapsychology, survival, consciousness, etc.
- Why do so many people resist the brain revolution?
- Is inference to the best explanation the right way to reason about the mind?
- Has neuropsychology actually managed to explain much about the mind?
- Is the mind-body identity theory explanatory? What are its main successes
- What is the best evidence for dualism?
- Can thought experiments refute the identy theory?
- Are there better materialist alternatives to the identity theory, e.g.functionalism
or eliminative materialism?
This page updated Sept.22, 2008