Phil/Psych 447, Phil 673, 2010
Seminar in Cognitive Science: Mind and Society
Week 8: History
Week 8a: Philosophy of history
- What, if anything, is the meaning of history?
- Is human nature historical?
- Does history have stages and/or a direction?
- How do hermeneutic approaches to history differ from scientific ones?
- Can the writing of history be objective?
- What is the difference between historical narrative and causal explanation?
- What would historical explanation look like from the perspective of multilevel interacting mechanisms?
Week 8b: Freud and folk psychology
- What ideas of Freud are most relevant to historical explanations?
- What ideas of folk psychology are most relevant to historical explanations?
- What ideas of Freud are most incompatible with evidence from cognitive science?
- What ideas of folk psychology are most most incompatible with evidence from cognitive science?
- Does historical explanation require the assumption that people are rational?
- Is there a fundamental difference between the natural and social sciences?
This page updated Nov. 1, 2010