Phil/Psych 447, Phil 673, 2010
Seminar in Cognitive Science: Mind and Society
Week 6: Anthropology
Week 6a: The place of anthropology in cognitive science
- What can cognitive psychology and neuroscience bring to anthropology?
- What can anthropology bring to the study of individual minds?
- What is culture?
- Why did cultural anthropology adopt postmodernism over empiricism?
- How is culture relevant to understanding language?
- How is culture relevant to understanding emotion?
- Can the study of culture be normative as well as descriptive?
International Cognition and Culture Institute
Michigan Culture and Cognition
Northwestern Culture and Cognition
Week 6b: Weirdest people
- What are the limitations of American-based experimental psychology?
- Is there a universal human nature?
- What are the implications of cultural variation for evolutionary psychology?
- What are the implications of cultural variation for the practice of conceptual analysis by analytic philosophers?
- What are the normative implications of cultural variation in cognitive practices?
- Can the method of multilevel interactive mechanisms aid in investigating cultures?
- How can computer models aid in anthropological investigations?
This page updated Oct. 18, 2010