Psychological experiments vs. thought experiments: Galileo.
Cartesian theatre vs. global workspace.
Blind spots and filling in.
1. Is attention a bottleneck, filter, spotlight, or competitive mechanism?
2. Is consciousness a cause or effect of attention, or both?
3. Evaluate these metaphors for consciousness: theatre, workspace, multiple drafts? What are their strengths and weaknesses?
4. What is the significance of Libet's half-second delay?
5. How much of consciousness is an illusion? Optical illusions.
6. How does the mind/brain fill in gaps?
7. Are conscious states effects, causes, or both?
Recent interview with Daniel Dennett.
Schröder, T., Stewart, T. C., & Thagard, P. (forthcoming). Intention, emotion, and action: A neural theory based on semantic pointers. Cognitive Science.
Recent experiments on free will.
The weirdest people in the world?
Computational Epistemology Laboratory.
This page updated Sept. 25, 2013