Phil/Psych 447, Phil 673
Seminar in Cognitive Science
Weeks 10-11: First person, neural explanations of consciousness and emotion
First versus third person investigation
Emotions as semantic pointers
Discussion Questions Week 10
- Can there be a first person science?
- Are you in the A team (Dennett) or the B team (Chalmers)?
- Can first-person experience be explained mechanistically?
- What can the method of phenomenology add to our understanding of consciousness?
- Does meditation illuminate the nature of consciousness?
- Does Buddhism provide insights about the meaning of life? Is enlightenment
- Can semantic pointer competition explain conscious experience (qualia)?
- What else should semantic pointer competition be able to explain?
Discussion Questions Week 11
- Does POEM succeed in unifying cognitive and somatic approaches to emotion?
- What is missing from brain-based explanations of emotions such as love?
- How does human emotional consciousness differ from that of animals?
- Is there a difference between the emotional consciousness of men and women?
- How do theories of embodiment change thinking about emotion?
Schlegel et al. on the mental workspace
Thagard on emotions
This page updated Nov. 11, 2013