Neurons, neural groups, brain areas, transformations.
Application to kinds of consciousness: sensory, pain, emotion, metacognition.
Unity of consciousness.
(a) Explain in terms of binding, synchrony?
1. What is the aim of the neuroscience of consciousness: correlates, mechanisms, or necessary and sufficient conditions?
2.Why is pain conscious?
3. Is the unity of consciousness illusory?
4. How is consciousness integrated?
5. What is the best response to the "What Mary Knows" argument for dualism?
6. Can theories of neural representation accommodate philosophical theories that consciousness involves higher-level reperesentations?
7. What kinds of brain damage shed light on the nature of consciousness?
Videos (some on consciousness):
Pinker on Colbert Report
Computational Epistemology Laboratory.
This page updated Oct. 23, 2007