Psychological experiments vs. thought experiments: Galileo.
Cartesian theatre vs. global workspace.
Blind spots and filling in.
1. Is attention a bottleneck, filter, spotlight, or competitive mechanism?
2. Is consciousness a cause or effect of attention, or both?
3. Evaluate these metaphors for consciousness: theatre, workspace, multiple drafts? What are their strengths and weaknesses?
4. How much of consciousness is an illusion? Cool illusion.
5. How does the mind/brain fill in gaps?
6. Is consciousness a biological accident, or an evolved function?
7. Are conscious states effects, causes, or both?
Video on consciousness and memory.
Computational Epistemology Laboratory.
This page updated Sept. 21, 2007